- 2 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 4 T water
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1 medium onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- 1-2 C pearl onions
- 8 stalks of celery, cut into 3 inch pieces
- 6 small potatoes, cut into halves or quarters (optional)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper per directions
- 1 beef chuck roast (3 pounds), trimmed of excess fat (I cut
- out all the fat I can get to, even to the point of
- dividing the roast)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
In slow cooker, put carrots, onions, celery and potatoes, 3/4 t salt, 1/4 t pepper, and the corn starch slurry and toss.
Sprinkle roast with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; place on top of vegetables, and drizzle with Worcestershire sauce. Cover; cook on high, 4 hours (or on low, 7 hours).
- Take the roast out; stir the vegetables in the juices a little then scoop the veg out; turn roast over and let it cook in the juices 1 more hr.
- Take the roast out and allow to cool slightly, on a platter, covered.
- In the meantime, return the vegetables to slow cooker for 15 more mins.
- Transfer roast to a cutting board; thinly slice against the grain and place in a deep serving dish. Place vegetables around the meat; pour pan juices through a fine-mesh sieve, if desired, and pour over meat and vegetables.