2.5-3 lb lamb shoulder/leg, cut into 2″ cubes (I have cooked up to 5 lbs)
1 t cinnamon powder (double if more than 3 lbs)
1 t ginger powder (double if more than 3 lbs)
1 t cumin powder (double if more than 3 lbs)
1 t tumeric (double if more than 3 lbs)
1 T chopped garlic (double if more than 3 lbs)
1 t course salt (1/2 t fine salt) (double if more than 3 lbs)
2 t olive oil (double if spices are doubled)
2 onions , roughly sliced
1 C vegetable,chicken or beef stock/broth
1 bay leaf
1 piece 2″ cinnamon stick
3 T honey
10 oz prunes (optional, but probably necessary for full flavor of this dish)
3.5 oz almonds, skinless, toasted *(optional, but probably necessary for full flavor of this dish)
1 T sesame seeds, toasted** (optional, but probably necessary for full flavor of this dish)
* 225 deg, 10-20 min
**225 deg, 3-5 min
- Cover prunes with boiling water, set aside.
- Mix the cinnamon, ginger, cumin, tumeric, garlic, salt and olive oil to make a paste, and rub over the meat.
- Press [Saute]. When [Hot] appears, add 1-2 T olive oil and saute onions till tender, about 3 min. Remove onions.
- Add meat and brown on all sides, about 10 min. (May have to do it in 2 batches).
- Add the stock/broth and deglaze. Add the onions, bay leaf and cinnamon stick.
- Press [Meat] and then the [+] or [-] button to choose 30-35 min pressure cooking time.
- When time is up, start releasing the pressure by pressing [Cancel]. After 10 min or so, can vent to release total pressure, then open the lid.
- Add prunes and honey, and reduce the liquid by pressing [Saute] and simmering everything together.
- Serve in a deep dish. Sprinkle with the almonds and sesame seeds.
Adapted from recipe by Laura Pazzaglia (www.hippressurecooking.com)