Yield: 14-16 cups
(still needs tweaking!)
8 C chopped lemons, pieces about 1/4″ x 1/2″ (about 14 lemons)
2 C honey
5-6 C sugar
3-4 C water
1/2 C Ball Classic Pectin (powder)
– Cut lemons into quarters and remove and save seeds.
– Chop lemons manually or in a food processor.
– Put all seeds in a small muslin spice pouch.
– Sterilize canning jars.
– Combine lemons, seed pouch (seeds help release pectin from fruit), honey, sugar and water together in a pot, Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then simmer for 30-60 mins until peel is of desired softness.
– Adjust sweetness and sourness with more sugar and/or water.
– Put pectin in a small bowl, gradually add and stir in 1-2 C of the hot mixture, then stir this pectin mix into the pot.
– Gently boil and stir for 5 more minutes.
– Fill jars and process in water bath for 10 mins. Turn heat off, leave in bath for 5 more mins before removing jars from water.