Adapted from Seafood Paella and saffron Aioli in NYTimes by Alice Hart
3 T olive oil
1 1/2 medium onions, diced
4 large plum tomatoes, halved (Can substitute 28-oz can of peeled whole tomatoes)
2 med red bell peppers, cored and diced
2 bay leaves
1 t sweet paprika
3 C fish or chicken stock, unsalted
1 – 1 1/2 t kosher salt
1 1/2 C medium grain or short grain paella rice (same as 2 “cups,” if using the “cup” that came with rice cooker. These “cups” are 3/4 of a true measuring cup)
1 C green peas (fresh or frozen)
12 oz catfish nuggets
12 oz peeled raw shrimp
1 1/2 lbs mussels or clams
3 T chopped parsley
lemon wedges for serving, if desired
- In a large deep-sided frying pan or paella pan with a lid, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Saute chopped onions until soft and golden, about 15 mins.
- In the meantime coarsely grate the tomatoes, cut side down, until only the skin remains. Discard the skins. There should be about 1 1/2 C. if using the canned tomatoes, fish the whole tomatoes out finely chop them. should have about 2 cups, other wise add juice to make 2 cups.
- Stir in the tomatoes, peppers, bay leaves and paprika into the onions. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until no liquid remains, about 15 mins.
- Add the stock, salt, bring to a boil. Add rice. Stir and simmer 10 min. Stir occasionally. There should be some liquid remaining.
- Add the peas and all the seafood and stir and incorporate into the rice. Simmer until all liquid has disappeared, stirring occasionally about 10mins. Add little amounts of water while stirring, if rice getting too dry or sticking and burning.
- Cover with lid, remove pan from heat and rest for 5-10 mins.
- Scatter with parsley Serve, with lemon wedges if preferred.